Mar 11, 2010

Missionary Work is Like...

Hello everyone! Over the past few weeks, I've been taking notes here and there about the roles of a missionary, what missionary work does, and just how it blesses and how it works in Heavenly Father's plan. Here's a list of what I've found so far:

  1. Missionary work is a Priesthood calling. It is literally following the Savior when He says, "let your light shine before men." Like all other priesthood callings, it is an act of selflessness, an act of service, an act of perfect, Godlike love. It is to be treated with sacredness, with hope, with goodness.
  2. Missionary work is a sacrifice. Brother Bott once said that I will suffer when I go out on my mission. I will be persecuted, reviled, rejected, rebuked in the name of Jesus. I will have physical hardships, spiritual hardships, emotional hardships. It is work, sweat, and pain, and it is all given to the Savior as a sacrifice for righteousness.
  3. Missionary work is a transforming experience. It kills the carnal man and brings out the Celestial Beings that young men need to be. I know I need do serve in order to continue on my spiritual progression. It teaches faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, and diligence.
  4. Missionary work is helping families become happy. Once a family can come into the light of the gospel, they can be blessed with a priesthood holder, with a Christlike mother, with children alive and happy in the light of Christ. Missionary work is bringing love back into these families. Mother, Father, and child can be sealed together, happy and pure, forever. Heaven literally comes on earth when that happens.
  5. Missionary work is giving people a second chance. Through the sacred Atonement of Jesus Christ, these people can repent, have their hearts changed, feel their holy spirits stirring inside of them, become purified, feel Heavenly Father's love, and change their lives. It is the invitation of the Savior, for all to come unto him. No matter what kind of past they have had, the sacrifice of the Savior can heal them. They are new people, claimed by the Atonement. When I think of how much he has done, when I think of the Savior and how wonderful a being he is, I can't help but want to sing Alleluia. He lives. He is very much real. His love is so complete that he takes all our mistakes, our sins, our burdens, our weaknesses, our deformities... He will heal all of us.
I testify Jesus is the Savior, and through his almighty grace we are saved, after all we can do. Heavenly Father's love is so complete that he gave us His Son to do this for us. Most important of all, missionary work is letting Heavenly Father know that we love Him, too. Though I am imperfect, I'm going to give what I have. There's a song that describes the feeling I have:

"No one told me how bad I need you,
But I somehow arrived at that conclusion all by myself.
And I want all you have to offer,
So I'll offer myself, and I'll give until there's nothing else."

I hope my sacrifice is a worthy sacrifice for Him.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I really liked your post. It really gives a bigger perspective to those preparing to serve a mission. Keep up the good work. You will make a great missionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrett, I like the music you have added, and your slideshow. This was a good posting. You will have much happiness as a missionary, because having the peace of mind and heart that comes from knowing you are doing what you are supposed to be doing brings great happiness. (On #5, did you mean feeling THE holy spirit stirring inside of them?) Love you, buddy! Mom

    ReplyDelete